This week was mostly spent improving the prototype in various ways. Firstly, we received the feedback that the auto acceleration of the player should be removed, since when you let go of the controls the ship would keep going on its own and it felt like the player didn’t even have to try to succeed.
That was an easy change, and the game did feel much more like an active racing game.
Another thing that I changed was the way your input is mapped to the player’s movement when the player is upside down. Some play testers told us that when upside down it was confusing to have the controls be backwards. After switching around the controls when upside down, we got feedback from other play testers that they liked it better before. Because of this we will likely make this an option you can set before a game starts.
Next I made the projectiles that the player fires move along the track. Before, the player just shot wherever the mouse cursor was – which clearly wasn’t anywhere near good enough. Really, that was only in there because we hadn’t removed it after deciding to ditch mouse controlled shooting. After making this change shooting obstacles became much easier.
Throughout the week I also fixed bugs here and there and made the game in general nicer and more fun to play. I also cleaned up a few scripts to make creating new levels easier for everyone on the team. Part of that was just making scripts find the objects they need a reference to themselves, so that we don’t have to, for example, drag the player ship into 12 different scripts manually on a new level.
Next week I plan on continuing to make the game feel nicer to play and continuing to add additional features along the way.