The majority of my time on the project this week was spent working on adding the ability to have multiple tracks in a scene. I also added simple teleporters to go back and forth between the tracks. We considered making the tracks smoothly split off into two directions, but this solution is much simpler, and with how little time we have left we thought it was the best choice.
I also spent a while trying to make the player have a constant velocity over the length of the track, regardless of the spline length – a problem we’ve been dealing with since the beginning of the project. To start tackling the problem more efficiently, I decided to add some more info to the screen so I could more easily spot issues.
I displayed the basic movement variables of each player on screen and immediately saw a few things that were off, and fixed them up. As for a constant speed, I have yet to find a clean solution. The problem sounds simple, but there’s something small that I’m missing because it’s still off. Currently we’re multiplying the player’s delta spline value by the ratio between the current segment of the track they are currently on and the total length of the track. I displayed the approximation of the curve lengths to ensure that was working fine.
Hopefully I’ll see the issue soon and can remove the temporary fix thrown in there for now.