[DEV] Target Indicator Iterations

Mainly worked on making iterations for the target indication, cleaning up of scripts and improving the Countdown at the start of a game.

  • indicator currently shows the direction of the enemy player , or the forward direction of the ship if the players are to far apart.
  • Countdown timer now sets positions of camera,ships,… correctly before pausing the game.

indicator2

startscreen.JPG

[ART] Art document + new mockup

NewMockup

This week consisted mostly of deciding the final visual style of the game, and writing the art document along with it.

We kept the idea of the paper-esque, non-smoothing shading, but in order to differentiate from other sci-fi racing games we commited to the paper shading and decided to give a slight origami feel to the whole game. Colors are also mostly unchanged from our original vision.

Mockup painted in photoshop.

[DEV] Track Import

This week I added the ability to import splines from max. We can now create a more complex track design in 3ds Max and line points up more precisely with the other world geometry, then simply export the spline as a .obj file.

Spline viewed in Max:

2017-03-14_21-29-29

Generated track viewed in Unity:

2017-03-14_21-27-21

Another thing I did this week was attempt to make the player’s velocity constant throughout the track. Before, the player would travel faster or slower depending on how the B├ęzier spline points were placed. This system is better now, but not quite in a final state yet.

Finally, I made the track width a little more flexible. We used to only be able to set the width of the entire track as a single value. Our artists asked for the ability to tweak the width of the track at certain points, so I added that feature this week as well.

2017-03-14_21-48-32

Next week I hope to sort out the player movement, as that is such an important system and needs a good amount of TLC before I’d consider it to be good enough.

-Andrew Weeks

[DEV] Controller check, tech document

This week has been spent mostly on working on the tech document:

TECH DOCUMENT

I added the technical constraints, the control scheme, refined the programming guidelines and worked on the technical design scheme.

Also, I added a check on startup to see if two controllers are connected. Since it is possible to play with a keyboard, you can still start the game, but a popup appears saying it is recommended to play with two controllers instead. Of course the looks of it aren’t final, those are reserved for the artists.

controllercheck.PNG

Also the controls have been redone again, since feedback told us we had too many buttons to work with.

controls.PNG